Two Kinds of People Think Too Much About Linux.
Those who Love it and those who Hate it !!!

I come under the first category .. What about you ???

About Me

My photo
A FOSS Enthusiast and a Great fan of Slackware, Sabayon ( KDE ) and Ubuntu. Like to develop apps and love to work with PHP and Databases. Love to solve the Rubik's Cube and can be seen listening to Telugu and Hindi songs when not messing with Linux or Solving the Cube.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Komodo Editor 6.1.1

Hello friends,

As I put up on my facebook status, from now on I would be dedicating time to update my blog and share the information that I get while browsing the web or hacking on some php code.

Until now, I've used Geany, which was really an excellent editor for php. But now, I recently came across Komodo which has become my favourite Editor with the first edit of php code.

I liked the features and the way it really works while editing code especially. The way it handles blocks of code is truly worth appreciating. Here is a small how-to on installing Komodo IDE 6.1.1 on Ubuntu/Debian.

Step 1: At the time of writing this post, on 4/4/11, Komodo Editor is in the 6th Version. You can get it by clicking here.

Step 2: After downloading the tarball, you can extract it using the following command ( Ctrl + Shift + T for terminal ).

tar xzvf Komodo-Edit-6.1.1-7295-linux-libcpp6-x86_64.tar.gz

Step 3: Using the cd command you can just browse into the extracted directory and then run the install.sh file using the command :

./install.sh

NOTE : There shouldn't be any permission related issues, but if there are any, please do run the below command and then go for the install.sh file.

sudo chmod 755 install.sh

Step 4: In the middle of the installation ( which won't take much time ) you will be prompted for which directory the installation should proceed in. There you can give the path / address of the folder of your choice or, you can just give it as,

/home/(user_name)/Komodo-Edit-6/ and then move on.

Step 5: Now is the time to create a Desktop Shortcut, which probably will be a favourite among the migrants from Windows to GNU. So, you can do that by running the following command in the terminal.

sudo ln -s "/home/(user_name)/Komodo-Edit-6/bin/komodo" /usr/local/bin/komodo

That will create a symbolic link of the original executable file onto the Desktop.

PS : I am working with Komodo-Edit-6 on the 64Bit version on Ubuntu 10.10 and its working perfectly fine.

More about php and my projects and related work, later. :)

No comments: